Emergency Need Fund


The Student Emergency Fund is a resource to be utilized for students who are in danger of having to withdraw because of financial roadblocks impeding college success.

The Emergency Need Fund is supported by the following grants and funds:

  • Co-Greene Cares Without Restrictions Fund
  • Dyson
  • HRBT
  • Igniting Dreams ENF, and Without Restrictions Fund
  • Scholars Ball ENF
  •  SUNY Impact
  • Various donors

Dyson, HRBT, ID ENF, and SUNY Impact each have their own set of restrictions on how the money can be used.  Decisions on which fund/grant to use are based on these restrictions.

Students identified as having imminent financial need, where withdrawing is threatening successful completion of academic goals may be referred by college faculty, staff, or administrators to the office of the Dean of Student Services. This referral should only be made with student permission. Students may also request assistance on their own behalf.

Assistance is administered on a case-by-case basis, using the criteria listed below. Payments will be made directly to the vendor or the third party (i.e., landlord, mechanic, utility company, book vendor). Gas and food cards and taxi and bus vouchers will be given directly to the student.

  • Maximum # of fuel and food cards is 2 per semester
  • Maximum award for books is $250 per semester or $500 per year
  • Maximum award for tuition is $800 per semester or $1,000 per year
  • Maximum amount for all other requests is $800 per semester or $1,000 per year

Examples of qualifying expenses include (but are not limited to):

  • Tuition and student fees
  • Housing expenses, (i.e., rent, mortgage payment)
  • Emergency temporary lodging (if student is homeless or in an unsafe situation)
  • Essential utilities (e.g., electric, gas, water)
  • Temporary food insecurity
  • Medical, vison, and dental treatment/medication/prescriptions when the student does not have the ability to pay, and the costs cannot be covered by insurance.
  • Financial needs arise from an unexpected emergency, accident, or other unexpected critical incidents.
  • Books
  • Daycare costs
  • Travel costs related to school and/or place of employment.
  • Other financial needs arising from individual and special circumstances to be determined on a case by case basis

Examples of non-qualify expenses include (but are not limited to):

  • Costs of entertainment, recreation, or non-emergency travel
  • Parking tickets
  • Expenses due to a lack of financial planning or overspending
  • Applicants must be currently enrolled students.
  • Applicants must have an immediate and unexpected financial hardship.
  • Applicants must write a letter or email of request with explanation and include supporting documents and other documentation as requested by Foundation or College staff.
  • Applicants must meet with the Dean of Student Development.

Procedures for Assistance Requests under $200 (fuel and food cards, bus and taxi tickets)

  • The student is instructed to write an email and send to
  • The student completes the Acceptance Form and a Grant Self-Report Form.
  • Email is reviewed by the Dean of Student Development and, if approved,  the student is instructed to pick up the card or tickets from the Office of the Dean of Student Development.
  • Documentation is sent to the Director of Donor Relations in the Foundation Office.
  • The transaction is coded to the correct fund.
  • The Information is entered into the Emergency Needs spreadsheet.
  • Signed Acceptance Form, and supporting documentation are scanned into the correct file in shared space. The Self-Report form is filed separately.


Procedures for Assistance Requests $200 and above

  • The student is instructed to write a letter or email of request and explanation and include supporting documentation. This email or letter with the supporting documentation is sent to the Dean of Student Development.
  • The information is reviewed, for adherence to the documentation checklist. The student is notified if additional documentation is required.
  • An interview is set up with the Dean of Student Development.
  • The Dean of Student Development’s office will check with the appropriate College or Foundation staff for background information, to determine if student completed all financial aid requirements, completed their certificate of residency, applied for a payment plan, applied for scholarships.
  • The Dean of Student Development will engage the CARES Team if necessary.
  • An Emergency Need workbook is maintained by the Director of Donor Relations. The information collected in this spreadsheet is what is required for each emergency need grant.
  • Reporting will be done by the Director of Donor Relations as required by the criteria of each grant.
  • If a gas or food card, it is matched to the grant used to purchase the cards.
  • Bus or taxi tickets are matched to the grant used to purchase the tickets.
  • In addition, a report on the overall Fund will be done at the end of each semester, and at the end of the calendar year, or at the request of the Foundation Board.
  • The Director of Donor relations keeps track of the spending of each emergency need fund.
  • Reconciliation with the bookkeeper is done on a monthly basis.