Residency Requirements

Certificate of Residence

All students who reside in New York must submit a Certificate of Residence for each academic year (Fall through Summer). Failure to submit a Certificate of Residence will result in the student being charged the non-resident tuition rate.

Submitting the Certificate of Residence

The Certificate of Residence must be submitted at the time of registration or billing due date to qualify for the New York State resident tuition rate. Certificates should be obtained no sooner than 60 days prior to the start of classes, and no later than 30 days after the start of classes.

Counties will not issue a certificate more than 30 days after classes begin. The Chief Fiscal Officer in the county – often the County Treasurer – of permanent residence issues the certificates. Click here for the list of all the Counties within the State and how to obtain the Certificate of Residence.

Students living in Columbia or Greene County should review and fill out the Affidavit Affirmation and Application for Certification of Residence. Columbia and Greene County residents can show proof of residency at the Bursar’s Office, but in some instances, may be required to go to the County Treasurer’s Office.

Columbia and Greene Counties require two (2) proofs of residence – one (1) showing that you have resided in New York State for the past twelve (12) months and one (1) in either county for the immediate past six (6) months.

Acceptable items for proof of residency include:

  • New York State Driver’s License issued at least one year before the date of your affidavit.
  • Personal mail postmarked six months prior to the date of your affidavit.
  • Your own income tax forms.
  • Voter registration card that is one (1) year old.

Other proofs include utility bills, telephone bills, bank statements, rent receipts, car registration, cancelled checks, or apartment/house lease. For New York State residency, any document dated more than one year old with your current address on it or for County residency, any document dated six months to one year prior will be accepted.

International Students

One year after showing intent to make New York State their permanent domicile, international students will be considered New York State residents; for example, a passport stamped “Application for Permanent Residency Status Pending.”  Note: certain visa types preclude the ability to show such intent.

Appeal Information:

If a Columbia-Greene Community College student is denied a certificate of residence from their home county, such student may appeal to SUNY System Administration for reversal. Such appeal communication should contain the student’s contact information and details about the denial from the county. Please note that denials can only be reversed if either the county or the college made an error or did not follow relevant legal requirements.

Students can submit appeals by email to or by physical mail to Johanna Duncan-Poitier, Senior Vice Chancellor for Community Colleges and the Education Pipeline, SUNY H. Carl McCall Building, 353 Broadway, Albany, NY 12246. Please note that CUNY community colleges student appeals must be directed to CUNY at

Please contact the Student Accounts/Bursar’s Office at 518.697.6300 or with any questions or for more information.