Students with disabilities may be eligible for academic adjustments of extended time on exams. Extended testing time may be approved as an academic adjustment if there are disability-related functional limitations that can be accommodated by the provision of extended time on exams to create equal access for the student with a disability.
Procedure for Requesting Testing Adjustments
- Students are responsible for completing and submitting a Test Accommodation Request Form to the OAS at least two business days prior to the scheduled test date. The digital form is available through the OAS course on Brightspace, C-GCC’s Learning Management System.
- When completing the form, the student should take into account that, if he/she/they need(s) extended time, but another class is scheduled immediately following the test, the exam may need to be taken on a date or time other than that scheduled by the faculty member.
- On exam day, for on-campus courses, the student will report to the OAS to take the exam. If the exam is administered remotely, rather than on-campus, the student will sign in to the remote portal for the course to take the exam. The completed test will be returned to the faculty member by the OAS or submitted digitally by the student through the remote portal.
Exam Scheduling Policies
- Rescheduling Exams: If an exam cannot be taken at the OAS on the date and time scheduled, due to illness or other emergency, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the OAS and to seek the faculty member’s permission to take the exam on an alternate date or time. Failure to obtain the faculty member’s approval may result in the student not being permitted to take the exam in the OAS.
- Abuse of Privileges: If the student engages in an abuse of exam taking privileges, i.e.: failing to present himself/herself/themselves to the OAS at the pre-arranged date and time with no notice and documentation to the OAS of an emergency or illness prohibiting same, failing to pre-arrange a scheduled time to take exams, engaging in inappropriate behaviors in the testing room, the OAS will suspend test taking services to that student. It is then the responsibility of the student to arrange to take the exam as a make-up test in the Academic Support Center, contingent upon instructor approval.
- Evening/Morning Exams: Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 4:00pm for the Fall and Spring semesters. The Summer Sessions office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00am – 4:00pm. If an exam must be taken outside those hours, the student should complete the Test Accommodation Request Form as early as possible so that arrangements may be made for after-hours proctoring.
- Extended Time: Extended time generally means time and a half (1.5x) for exams. Based on disability need, some students may be permitted double time (2x) for exams. All decisions regarding the extent of extended time are made on a case-by-case, course-by-course basis.